Floyd Mayweather Junior: I WILL quit boxing after Andre Berto bout – because I've done it all


Floyd Mayweather Jr. addresses the media during the post-fight news conference after his unanimous decision victory against Manny Pacquiao
Bowing out: Mayweather says he is quitting boxing
Floyd Mayweather Junior insists he will quit after his clash with Andre Berto because he has nothing left to achieve.
Mayweather will equal Rocky Marciano's perfect record of 49-0 if he beats Berto at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena on September 12.
But the pound-for-pound king, who has won 12 world titles in five divisions, is adamant he will not be tempted to renege on his promise to retire and try and beat the record.
"I've always said 49 is my last fight," said Mayweather on an international conference call tonight from Las Vegas tonight.
"I've been pushed to the limit and there's nothing left to accomplish."

Mayweather, 38, dismissed those who claim he should not retire at his peak and says his priority is to get out of boxing with his health intact.
"Well no-one is in my shoes," said the American. "I think my health is more important. Anything can happen. I'm not too worried about losing, but I don't want to have a shot mind.
"You can make a lot of money, but you still want to be able to walk and talk and not have a shot mind."
Mayweather was not as bubbly as he had been on his call before the Manny Pacquiao fight and at one point asked Leonard Ellerbe of Mayweather Promotions to answer questions about his future.

"Like I've said and Floyd has said a number of times, this will be his last fight," said Ellerbe. "Why can't a man go out at the end of his illustrious career having achieved everything he has needed to accomplish and be done? And he's done it this way."
Mayweather claims he will keep busy in retirement promoting concerts and working in fashion.
Ellerbe claims he has also received lucrative offers from Hollywood to take up acting.
"Over the last week, we've received three major movie offers so we fully expect Floyd to be heavily, heavily involved in the entertainment industry because this is what he does," he said.

"I know for a fact with the significant entertainment offers coming our way, that's definitely something that's going to occupy a lot of his time."
Mayweather seemed to rule out acting, before admitting in his next breath that it could be a possibility.
"I've been approached on numerous occasions, but I'd rather be behind the scenes - I've had my time," he said.
"But we don't know what the future holds. I'll keep my fingers crossed and if that comes my way, I'll take advantage of it."

No comments

Powered by Blogger.